After attending Jordan World Circus, thanks to the Starlight Children's Foundation, @ the Puyallup Fairgrounds...Summer LOVED the ponies, elephants, and especially the high flying acrobatic Ariel princesses (her favorite...she kept saying "printhess, ahh, ahh, ahh (like Ariel's singing) 3-12-2011

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Summer's new wheels

Summer's new wheels...

Summer has gotten so big (she's now over 24 lbs.!) that she is just getting too heavy to carry. She still doesn't walk or crawl, and also has a hard time with the lack of support a stroller gives. After a chat with the therapists, they suggested we go forward with ordering a wheel chair. Summer is turning 3 in July, graduating from the birth to 3 program, and starting preschool in the Fall. The school is about 15-20 minutes away, so she will have to ride a bus :( The bus drivers/teachers are not allowed to carry kids to or from the bus and the class, so she will need a way to be transported. On one hand, I have a hard with this happening so soon. But on the other hand, I have to admit it will be nice to send Summer to preschool and Morgan to Kindergarten the same year....maybe I will actually have some free time? haha.

So...a wheelchair it is.

This is actually called a Kid cart. I personally feel it is simply a cute name for a kiddie wheelchair....trying to make parents like myself feel okay about it all. :p This is a temporary loaner from the therapy center until we can get Summer her own customized chair ordered. I had a hard time coming to grips with the whole thing, but I know in the long run, it will be better for all of us...
Well, I have to say one thing...Summer sure seems to love it!
Summer gets upset when we take her out of the chair...Morgan wheeled her all around the house, parked her, and read her stories :)



We used the chair today for the first time at swimming. Summer loves the height and it is really easy to push and manouver. My hubby and I have always been too tall for stroller handles, this one is the perfect height :) It is a lot heavier than a stroller, but folds up fairly compact. I'm sure the lady in the parking lot enjoyed a good chuckle at me wrestling with it when I was packing up though.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally understand your mixed feelings Mel. It is nice to be able to more easily transport her but it just seems so final. She has done amazing things in her life though and I am sure she will continue to!

    ReplyDelete